Tips to prevent fires
It is important for businesses and household to protect themselves against fires by understanding the risk, mitigating them, and ensuring that they are covered for the adequate amount.
Fires can be attributed to electrical faults, improper maintenance, not complying with regulations, and lightning. However the majority of fires are caused by human negligence.
Many fires can be prevented or mitigated by using the following tips:
- Installing smoke detection alarms
- Keep tight fitting screens in front of your fireplace to prevent sparks getting out
- Check all electrical wiring for shorts or sparks
- Use safety gel feel instead of liquid paraffin
- Keep burning candles out of the reach of children
- Make sure you dont overload power points
Fire extinguishers should be kept at home as well as in your businesses. Children should be taught how to use extinguishers, and it is also good to develop home evacuation plans in case of emergency. The height and positioning of the installation is equally important so that they can be reached in the event of them being needed.
Lastly, it is also crucial for businesses and households to keep their records up to date and to keep copies of important documents off- site so that in the event of a fire these are easily available.
“article courtesy of Cover”